Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cuddle Creature

Its winter and it is cold.  When it is cold first thing that comes to mind is cuddling. Cuddling with a loved one, cuddling under a blanket, or cuddling with that treasured teddy (or around here, monkey!)  As I started to research and get my juices going on what to do for January I figured out that whatever I chose to explore needed to be designed for sweet cuddling comforts.  Wanted it to be specially cuddly for a child.

While researching and looking through a book, I came across the project, turn a pillowcase into a little creature.  So I took a pillowcase and voila, Cuddle Creature with matching carrying bag/gift bag.  I chose this project to start of the year because it was a simple one, get my feet wet after a holiday break. 

Cute, Cuddly, Charming! 




Lessons learned:

-Pay attention to the material of the pillowcase/thickness of the fabric so the right thread is used.
-In the future, I would love to redo the Cuddle Creature with a pacifier or teether holder. Maybe do more personalizing to the idea of the creature. The ideas to make it different rather than just do the suggested ones came flooding after I had cut everything out, boo.  With the current baby boom around us, I am sure I'll have the opportunity to make another!
-Cross-stitching is great way to add character to anything!  Once you get the hang of it, its simple!
-In search of buttons!  Seems like around my neck of the woods it is hard to find buttons, specially a variety of them.  Choices are slim.  Realizing it is good to just collect some here and there, specially vintage, when I do come across any.

PS- My lil one LOVES the Cuddle Creature.  Not sure what it is about it.  She just holds it and giggles!  It is a hit! Fun and easy project to tackle, go for it!

4 comments:

  1. The Hancock's in Gainesville has the best selection of buttons I've been able to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Might have to plan a special trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a bunch of vintage-looking metal buttons that you may be interested in. I inherited them from my mother's collection and they don't really go with any of my projects. Message me on Facebook, and I can drop them in the mail to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw your comment, will message you this weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete